Friday, June 28, 2013

In, Over, Through, Off

I learned to knit Scottish-style before I went to kindergarten. I think my mother taught me so she could have some knitting time without having to deal with a mouth and feet that ran constantly (this was obviously pre-preschool days). For many years I tried to become proficient at it, but in my head I was hounded by the "In, over, through, off. In, over, through, off." instruction and no matter how I tried to shake it, I couldn't escape to develop any kind of rhythm of my own. It got in the way. It slowed me down. Besides, I had all kinds of other needlework to keep me occupied, like embroidery, needlepoint, crewel, hardanger, cross stitch, trapunto, quilting, sewing, stump work, crochet, etc., so who needed knitting?

Over the years I thought about trying to learn another way, but that little critic in my head kept repeating some variation of, "Look, you just can't knit. I mean, you know how, but slow-mo knitting kind of defeats the purpose and doesn't accomplish much, now does it?Fuggedaboudit and move on." I did. Many times. I was so knitting averse that when I bought one of those ceramic and cloth newborn dolls I actually wrote my mother and asked her to make me some sweater sets for it! And she did! Thank you, Mummy.

Last year I was looking for something to do with yarn that didn't include crochet because the old wrists were acting up and I had made a commitment to make some baby items. I jumped up out of the blue and taught myself Continental style knitting. Who knows why? I didn't dwell on the idea. I didn't contemplate. I didn't hesitate. I went on YouTube, found some videos (thank you Liat Gat of Knit Freedom!), decided my left hand could do it, and off I went. Much to my astonishment I learned quickly, without too much cursing (I was, let us not forget, a sailor), and fell in love.

I started out with acrylics because they were inexpensive, readily available, and machine washable since I was making baby things because they're, you know, small!  I'm still working on using up that acrylic, but some days it can be a chore to make myself work on something that I now know would be much nicer to work in wool.  I recently finished a little jumper (American usage: skirt with front bib and over the shoulder straps worn over a blouse or shirt of some kind) for a niece that uses smocking stitch in the bib.  I obviously didn't think it through, because that stitch needs a yarn with give to be worked easily & that's one thing this acrylic definitely didn't have! So I trudged through this little bodice and have learned to swatch new stitches in the yarn for the project BEFORE I dive in! Note to self: swatches are useful for much more than just gauge!

I have developed an obsession with hats. Not fascinators or fedoras or even busbys, but knitted caps, toques, tams, beanies, and the like. It's a great way to learn new stitches and techniques, which can make the hats look complicated despite generally being simple in design, made from great yarn, and comfortable.  Definitely comfortable.  I've built up a little stash of hats now and am working up the nerve to sell them on Etsy.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I have always been impressed with the way you take on challenges, my dear! Post lots of pictures of your stuff... I am looking forward to seeing your all-kinds-of-hats. I have done a little crochet work, but although I enjoy it for the "busy hands" aspect, I am really not very good at it. I know one pattern (baby afghan) and although I've tried to learn others, I don't do well with reading instructions and making something wonderful happen. As for gauge, let's just say that the full-size-bed afghan I made for my stepson is about 8 inches wider at one end than the other. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete