Monday, September 16, 2013

Brain the Peas

I recently maximized the display quality of my monitor to see if I could tell the difference between what I was using and what the monitor software recommended for my maximum viewing pleasure. I did this mostly because I like jigsaw puzzles and have a great game on my computer that can turn any picture file into a puzzle. I find it amazing how much more detail I'm able to see in a photo, for example, after I've put it back together. Anyway, it turns out that I can see the difference, so I am leaving the settings at maximum.

There is, however, a slight problem. I need binoculars for the fine print -- as in any print. Today I was reading a blog called Free Food for Rats where on July 10th Anja posted a recipe for spider crab gateaux piments (a fancy little crab cake made into appetizer puffs rather than patties). Interesting sounding ingredients, but when I got to the instructions the first words threw me for a loop. "Brain the yellow split peas and blitz in a food processor..." Wh... whaaaat??

Now, I know it's been a while since I've actually cooked anything (spouse - lucky, I know), but basic directions can't have changed THAT much, can they? So I read it again with my nose about 2" from the screen, "Drain the peas..." Aaahhh. Discombobulation event terminated.

Hmmm, maybe is this one of those things like kids being able to hear really high ringtones when adults can't -- and maybe I'd better reign in my imagination before it runs away with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment